42. Peter Pan

Peter Pan by Sir James M. Barrie
Illustrated by Francis D. Bedford


Pages: 267
Finished: Feb. 25, 2008
Reason for Reading: Read aloud to my 7yo. Decades challenge.
First Published: 1911
Genre: children's classic, fantasy
Rating: 2.5/5

First Sentence:


All children, except one, grow up.


Comments: This was a tough one to read aloud. I read the book, to myself, several years ago but didn't really remember it all. If I had, I don't think I would have chosen to read it aloud. The first few chapters were rather boring and very old-fashioned. Once Peter entered the picture, the story picked up and ds became interested. But then once again, the narrative would seem to just go on and on about nothing until something happened in the plot every once and a while. I found the writing very didactic, conceited and smug and just downright difficult to read out loud. I could just imagine the author chuckling at how witty he thought himself. I have to say the 7yo enjoyed this much more than I. I asked him twice (once near the beginning and once at the mid-point) if he'd like me to stop reading this book and he said no. So he, at least, got something out of it. I have always enjoyed reading the classics to my children but have to say this is one that has not stood the test of time very well.

Comments

  1. At least he enjoyed it! Peter Pan is my one of my all-time chilhood's book, I read it when I was ten but it was an abridged version. Still it took me away for hours and afterwards I had the feeling, for the first time, that I had seen the movie instead of reading the book:P
    Too bad it wasn't fun for you to read aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your son enjoyed it. I listened to the audio version of this last month and while I enjoyed listening to Jim Dale read it, I ended up having mixed feelings about the book itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book last year and I agree with your assessment of it. I think it makes a better play/musical than it does a book. Plus the character of Peter struck me as extremely proud and arrogant. I think the musical balances him out a bit.

    It's a book I could do without.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I have this one for my decades challenge as well. Guess I'll just have to get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this aloud to my kiddos a couple of years ago and found the first couple of chapters a bit of a bear, but very recently I listened to the Jim Dale version and found it delightful. It is definitely a story that begs to be performed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts