30. Destiny

Destiny by Alex Archer
Rogue Angel Book 1


Pages: 346
Finished: Feb. 11, 2008
Reason for Reading: 1st in a Series challenge
First Published: 2006
Genre: action adventure, fantasy
Rating: 3.5/5

First Sentence:

Out of breath, feeling as though the hounds of Hell pursued him, Roux whipped his horse mercilessly.


Comments: Annja Creed is an archaeologist who works part-time for a TV show called Chasing History's Monsters. While on an assignment in France, tracking down information on the Beast of Gevaudan, she stumbles upon an artifact that others are also looking for. Thus begins a action packed race as Annja is chased by an ancient sect of monks, a 500 year old man and a local gangster involved with the Wild Hunt. Two things come to mind as I write this review. The first is that this is no literary work; it is plot driven and very cheesy. The second is that I really enjoyed it. Sometimes I like a little cheese. I loved the history of legends that served the basis of the story: the Beast of Gevaudan, Peter Stubb (werewolf or serial killer?), Joan of Arc and the Wild Hunt. The last two I knew about but the former were new to me and had me googling them as I read. If you enjoy shows such as Relic Hunter, Xena or Alias and love to see an independent, intelligent woman with mystical abilities kick some butt, you'll enjoy this book.

Comments

  1. She sounds a bit like Buffy!

    I've tagged you for a meme. It's about books, so I figured you'd be one who would have one or two lying around the place...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts