23. Firewing

Firewing by Kenneth Oppel
Third book of the Silverwing Trilogy


Pages: 262
Finished: Feb. 4, 2008
Reason for Reading: next in the series. Series challenge
First Published: 2002
Genre: YA, animal fantasy
Award: Mr. Christie's Book Award
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:

It had rained during the day and now, under a three-quarter moon, the forest was silver with mist.


Comments: Shade's son, Griffin, is sucked under the earth during an earth tremor and falls into the Underworld, the land of the dead. Shade enters through the same fissure to rescue him. More is at stake than just the life of Griffin though; Griffin and Shade uncover a diabolical plot to take over the land of the living.

This third book in the trilogy is by far my favourite. Just absolutely riveting. Many familiar characters make appearances and the new characters are endearing. The plot is dark and the Underworld is fascinating. The ending is heart wrenching and brought tears to my eyes. An exceptional book and a fitting end to the trilogy. I highly recommend this trilogy.

This is the last book in the trilogy, however, a prequel was published last year (2007), so I will be reading that next before I officially call this series finished.

Comments

  1. Great recommendation. I really liked his "Airborn." BTW, I'm giving you an award on my blog so check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts