A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

14. The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1

Pages: 107
Finished: Jan. 24, 2008
Reason for Reading: first in a series challenge, read-aloud to my 7yo.
First Published: 2003
Genre: children, fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

First Sentence:

If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.

Comments: Three children move to an old Victorian home that belongs to a relative. They soon start hearing strange noises and then they find many strange and wonderful things that lead them to believe the house has another inhabitant. I read this aloud to my 7yo and I have to say I have never seen him so engrossed in a book before. At the end of each chapter we could hardly stand to not continue reading. We are both looking forward to the next volume. A wonderful, well-written fantasy for the under tens.


  1. I keep meaning to try this series, do you think an adult could enjoy it as much as a younger child? I really like the illustrations and Holly Black's other books.

  2. This looks like such a good series. I'm going to have to read them. Sounds like my older kids (6 and 9) would probably like them, too.

  3. rhinoa, well I enjoyed it very much! It just doesn't have as much to it, ykwim, as a book for older kids would have and I think that as long as one takes that into account you'll like it fine.

    susan, yes, I think your 6 and 9 will love it!