A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Decades Challenge

One more challenge for me in 2008! I've tried to resist joining in with this one but I can hold out no longer. Michelle over at 3M is hosting the decades challenge. The rules are simple: read 8 books published in consecutive years prior to the 2000s.

I'm adding a little twist to my list of books. These are books that I intend to read-aloud to my 7yo (turning 8yo) in 2008. So, without further ado, here is my list, which I reserve the right to change at any time ;-) I am still searching for a 1940s title suitable for a 7/8 yo. I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have.

1900s - Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (1902)
1910s - Peter Pan by JM Barrie (1911)
1920s - The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (1922)
1930s - Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater (1938)
1940s - Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson (1946)
1950s - The Borrowers by Mary Norton (1952)
1960s - James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (1968)
1970s - The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Edwards (1974)
1980s - The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (1980)

(edited to add): I finally came up with a 1940s book!


  1. For the 1940's, I'm going to read Call It Courage (Sperry) which is a Newbery Winner. It might be worth looking into. ???

  2. Thanks for the suggestion Joy. I'm thinking Call It Courage is going to be a bit over my 7/8 yo's head. I read it to my older son when he was about 10/11 but I don't really remember it very well.

  3. Welcome to the challenge!!!

    I have a suggestion:

    My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett. It was published in 1948. I read it and the two sequels to my boys when they were about that age. I loved the stories myself!

    Here's the wikipedia article about it :

  4. 3m, That is a fabulous suggestion, but we read the My Father's Dragon trilogy last year. They were a big hit. I love the first one especially and wish she had written many more books.