135. Lirael

Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr by Garth Nix
Second book of the Old Kingdom


Pages: 705
Finished: Dec. 21, 2007
Reason for Reading: next in the series, this was chosen for me for GRTB game on LibraryThing
First Published: 2001
Genre: YA fantasy
Awards: Ditmar Award
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:


It was a hot, steamy summer, and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.



Comments: This second book in the trilogy is not a continuation of the first but starts up a new story line. Lirael is a Daughter of the Clayr, yet she is different in many ways and feels apart from the others. She does not have the Sight yet she is strong in Charter Magic and while waiting for the Sight to come to her she works on her Magic skills. She eventually discovers her destiny is not as she thought and she finds herself on a journey to save the Kingdom. This is a wonderful book, one you settle into and become immersed in the fantasy world. I love the Old Kingdom, it is a fascinating world. I've read almost all of Nix's books and he is a master at creating intricate worlds. I really enjoyed this. The characters, the world-building, the plot all satisfied me. The only problem I have is that it doesn't really have an ending but stops mid-action with virtually a 'to be continued'. I love reading trilogies and series but I prefer each book to have its own resolution while being a part of a greater whole. Highly recommended!

Comments

  1. Over Thanksgiving, my brother gave me a bag of books. This series is in it. He loved it. Now it's just going to be a matter of WHEN I can get to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sabriel a couple of years ago and don't why I waited so long to read this. They are both really good but I think I liked Lirael better. I have the 3rd book on my bedside table and I will *not* be waiting another 2 years to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts