Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. These are the ramblings of the books I read.

I sometimes go through stages of "genre love", I'm addicted to mystery thrillers, Catholic theology, memoirs, 20th century Chinese historical fiction & Victorian fiction, and nonfiction; but you'll find I read an even wider variety of books than that. I have a teensy fascination with macabre non-fiction books about death and anything about insane asylums.

I also tend to post a lot of reviews of juvenile/teen books, with a nod towards what parents can expect to find that might or might not be objectionable.

I also blog about graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, August 23, 2007

#62. Gossamer

Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Pages: 140
Finished: Aug. 23, 2007
Reason for Reading: Lois Lowry is a favourite author and this is my first book for the RIP Challenge
First Published: 2006
Genre: YA fantasy
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:


An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.


Recommend: This is a beautiful, sweet tale. It is also a sad, haunting tale. Humans are visited each night by almost transparent creatures who bestow dreams upon them; they are also visited, occasionally, by the terrifying, thundering night mares. On rare occasions the night mares will congregate into a Horde and descend upon a helpless one and eight-year old John is their next victim. I loved the beauty of this story, the words, the images and then, in contrast, the topics of child and spousal abuse strike a painful balance. This is a short read, but an emotional and satisfying one.